Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Activity Versus Teaching

Today, I had students answer this bellringer, "Pick something (a person, place, thing) that symbolizes who you are. Draw it." That led into our discussion of symbolism in Frankenstein. In class, I handed out a worksheet and showed them their assignment: they were to find examples of the places where certain symbols were used and explain what they symbolized. I generally reviewed the places each symbol was used and then let them work in pairs to find the examples and explain them. I also explained the back of the worksheet which was about irony. I didn't really like the feeling of giving them a worksheet, but it was necessary because I had grading and other stuff to finish. I think I should have spent more time really teaching symbols, but I'm hesitant to teach something when I think it might bore them. But I'm also hesitant to give them a worksheet because I think it may just seem like busy work. I have trouble finding that balance. I wonder if it is experience with the material (this is MY first time reading Frankenstein, after all) or knowing your students really well.

No comments:

Post a Comment