Thursday, November 4, 2010

Frankenstein Update

So I started out reading Frankenstein with out of class reading assignments and in class discussion and writing. When I realized that I needed to do more in class reading (which was probably a late realization on my part), I already had some students who had independently read ahead and I made the decision, rather hastily, that I shouldn't burden those students in class with reading things twice, so I kept my system. Now I kind of regret that decision.

It's clear that the students need much more time in class with guided reading. I've been assuming that students didn't want to read or weren't making time -- and though that might be true for some -- I think that a lot of students had difficulty with the text and need more guidance from me. Oh! Another good example of "not enough guidance" -- I was reviewing the vocabulary for a quiz and a lot of students didn't even know how to pronounce the words. I felt terrible because I could very easily have pronounced all the words for them or gone over them and said, "Look for the verb form of this" and just given them more time with the words in class. I know that they are seniors and should be doing more on their own, but I think I overestimated their independent studying abilities. And that's not to say that they can't do it by themselves, but i gave them the task without enough guidance. This is really becoming a theme.... hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment